How do I go about getting a copy of a child custody/visitation order?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Weatherford, TX

I live 300 miles away from where the case was done. Also, what information do I need to have- I don't know the cause number.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . The court that issued the order will have the original order on file. If you contact the court by telephone, you should advise them that you are a party to the case and never received a copy of the order. Another option would be contacting the court via mail. They can likely look up the case if you provide them with both parties' names. Where you are a party to the case, I would suggest providing the court with your address so that you will receive copies of any orders issued by the court.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Roberto Lopez Jr.

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you were served with the petition, the cause number should be at the top. If you were not served and assuming this is in Texas, identify the county in which the proceeding took place. After determining the county, call the clerks office and see if they can perform a search for filings and cases involving your child's name. Once you locate it, ask that they provide you with a copy.

  3. William Tyler Moore Jr


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Call the District Clerk in the county where the order was entered. Tell hem the names of the parties involved and the child's name. Ask how much for a copy of the order. Give them either a credit card no. or a check and they'll send it to you.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you... more
  4. Jacqueline R. Kriebel


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You can call the distict clerk and ask them these questions. They will direct you on how their county provides copies of filed documents. Some counties have online search options to find the case numbers using a party's name since these are public records.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,659 answers this week

2,860 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,659 answers this week

2,860 attorneys answering