How do I go about getting a copy of a child custody/visitation order?

Asked over 1 year ago - Weatherford, TX

I live 300 miles away from where the case was done. Also, what information do I need to have- I don't know the cause number.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

9

Answered . The court that issued the order will have the original order on file. If you contact the court by telephone, you should advise them that you are a party to the case and never received a copy of the order. Another option would be contacting the court via mail. They can likely look up the case if you provide them with both parties' names. Where you are a party to the case, I would suggest providing the court with your address so that you will receive copies of any orders issued by the court.

2. Roberto Lopez Jr.

2

1

Answered . If you were served with the petition, the cause number should be at the top. If you were not served and assuming this is in Texas, identify the county in which the proceeding took place. After determining the county, call the clerks office and see if they can perform a search for filings and cases involving your child's name. Once you locate it, ask that they provide you with a copy.

3. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

Answered . Call the District Clerk in the county where the order was entered. Tell hem the names of the parties involved and the child's name. Ask how much for a copy of the order. Give them either a credit card no. or a check and they'll send it to you.

4. Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Pro

Answered . You can call the distict clerk and ask them these questions. They will direct you on how their county provides copies of filed documents. Some counties have online search options to find the case numbers using a party's name since these are public records.