How do I go about getting a copy of a child custody/visitation order?

Weatherford, TX |

I live 300 miles away from where the case was done. Also, what information do I need to have- I don't know the cause number.

If you were served with the petition, the cause number should be at the top. If you were not served and assuming this is in Texas, identify the county in which the proceeding took place. After determining the county, call the clerks office and see if they can perform a search for filings and cases involving your child's name. Once you locate it, ask that they provide you with a copy.

Deborah G. Fiss

Deborah G. Fiss

You send a notarized letter to the Clark's office to prove you are a party to the action since only certain individuals have a right to suchbpersosnlmfiles,

Deborah G. Fiss

Deborah G. Fiss

Sorry for the typos. what I want to say is, once you locate the papers, be prepared to send a notarized letter to the Clerk's office so they give you access to your private file.

The court that issued the order will have the original order on file. If you contact the court by telephone, you should advise them that you are a party to the case and never received a copy of the order. Another option would be contacting the court via mail. They can likely look up the case if you provide them with both parties' names. Where you are a party to the case, I would suggest providing the court with your address so that you will receive copies of any orders issued by the court.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Call the District Clerk in the county where the order was entered. Tell hem the names of the parties involved and the child's name. Ask how much for a copy of the order. Give them either a credit card no. or a check and they'll send it to you.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

You can call the distict clerk and ask them these questions. They will direct you on how their county provides copies of filed documents. Some counties have online search options to find the case numbers using a party's name since these are public records.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody