Skip to main content

How do I go about gathering evidence for pending divorce? As respondent in pro per what records do I have the right to request?

Torrance, CA |

My husband attempted suicide before we met and was placed in a psychiatric hospital for treatment and was treated by our family physician for depression during our marriage . Can I request medical records as evidence to support that he is unstable ? How do I obtain copies of his tax return filed while divorce is pending ? Also , I know he has bought 2 vehicles that he isn't disclosing as assets . How do I prove that in court ? Any advice on discovery and evidence is welcome . Thank you

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I've added a "Divorce Court" tag to your post for further attorney exposure.

  2. This forum is for simple legal questions. You cannot be coached through yur pro se case on here. You can however hire a local attorney to help you by either representing you or by acting as your pro se coach. I am not sure what his mental condition has to do with your case anyway unless it is a custody case. If you signed the tax return you get a copy from the preparer. If he filed married separate then you request it as part of discovery. Look for the financial affidavit forms on the local courthouse website where the divorce is filed.

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics