How do I go about filing for adverse possession of a piece of my neighbors land in Massachusetts.

Asked about 1 year ago - Newton, MA

My neighbor put up a fence over 20 yrs ago leaving 2,000sq ft of his property outside the fence.Since then I have taken care of this property and have planted several tress/shrubs.
What proof do I need?

1. Thomas J Callahan

2

1

Answered . The complaint you need to file to establish title is an action to quiet title under MGL c. 240, filed in either Superior Court or Land Court. Proof can be any number of things - your testimony, neighbor testimony, photos, building permit for the fence. However, note that if anywhere the other owner gave you permission to landscape on your side of the fence, that breaks the 20-yr. chain, because then your use becomes by permission rather than "an open, adverse, hostile, exclusive use under a claim of right".

2. Emma A. Kremer

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Callahan's answer and would just like to add that in Massachusetts the most difficult requirement to satisfy is the continuous use of the property you seek to adversely possess and quiet title. Continuity is strictly construed so you must be able to establish that for 20 years there was not a single break in your possession of your neighbor's land. Further, you should check whether the land you seek to quiet title is recorded or registered land because you cannot adversely possess registered land regardless of whether you satisfied the other requirements. You may want to consult an attorney to assist you with your claims. Best of luck.

3. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . hire a lawyer

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.