Skip to main content

How do I go about establishing paternity, child support, and custody for my child.

Goodyear, AZ |

The father and I are unmarried and live in different states. He is not willing to acknowledge paternity without testing done first. We are both in the military.

Attorney Answers 1


Based on the presumption that you live here in AZ, you can file a Petition to Establish Paternity, Custody, Parenting Time & Child Support or in the alternative, you could file a Petition to Establish Paternity & Child Support, which does not address Parenting Time and custody is presumed to be with mother.

In either case, once he has been served, he has the option of filing a Response and requesting a paternity test if he chooses.

If he does not respond, you will be able to proceed by default.

If he does file a Response, the court will order a Paternity Test.

His signature or cooperation is not required to win the case.

The first thing to do is consult with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your rights, options and obligations. The Sampair Group and most other local family law attorneys do not charge for the initial consultation.

Good luck!

Patrick Sampair
The Sampair Group, PLLC

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics