How do I go about establishing paternity, child support, and custody for my child.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Goodyear, AZ

The father and I are unmarried and live in different states. He is not willing to acknowledge paternity without testing done first. We are both in the military.

1. Patrick S Sampair

Pro

2

Answered . Based on the presumption that you live here in AZ, you can file a Petition to Establish Paternity, Custody, Parenting Time & Child Support or in the alternative, you could file a Petition to Establish Paternity & Child Support, which does not address Parenting Time and custody is presumed to be with mother.

In either case, once he has been served, he has the option of filing a Response and requesting a paternity test if he chooses.

If he does not respond, you will be able to proceed by default.

If he does file a Response, the court will order a Paternity Test.

His signature or cooperation is not required to win the case.

The first thing to do is consult with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your rights, options and obligations. The Sampair Group and most other local family law attorneys do not charge for the initial consultation.

Good luck!

Patrick Sampair
    The Sampair Group, PLLC
    623.218.1000
    480.636.1333

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "HELPFUL" or "THE BEST ANSWER," PLEASE MARK IT SO AS AVVO AWARDS THE ATTORNEY POINTS. All attorneys providing answers on this site are donating their time and not financially compensated.