Skip to main content

How do I go about denying a request for paternity?

Spokane, WA |

My daughter will be three next month. Last month her father served me with papers to do a paternity test; however, he signed the Parent Acknowledgement form. I am wanting to deny it due to the fact that she is his no doubt and the only reason why he is doing this now is because he doesn't want to pay child support. Also, he is trying to stick me with paying for everything court wise. Which laws should I pay close attention to and what would be the best way to deny him.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If you have been served with court documents, you should hire an attorney to represent you. Your type of case depends on the specific facts, the statutes, and case law. Not knowing the statutes and case law would put you at a disadvantage.

Generally, the potential parents of a child have four years after the birth of the child to challenge the parentage of the child.

Before the court orders genetic testing, the court will decide whether it is in the child's best interest for genetic testing to be done.

If the father has been acting as a good father to the child these three years, it is unlikely that the court would order genetic testing.

The statutes are mostly in Chapter 26.26 RCW (UNIFORM PARENTAGE ACT) at .

You have only a few days to respond to the summons. If you are late, you may be defaulted.

You should ask the court to appoint a guardian ad litem for the child. It is likely that the court would appoint a GAL even if neither parent wants a GAL as the statutes require that a child older than two to be represented by a GAL.

You should not delay in reviewing the specific facts with your attorney.


Under certain circumstances a man can request a dna test even though he is the presumed father. You should consult with an experienced attorney about these issues. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on paternity for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer