How do I go about changing the payee of my dependent son's social security check into my name? It is currently in fathers name.

Asked about 1 year ago - Portsmouth, VA

I need to find out if I am at all entitled to have my dependent sons social security changed into my care. I am not married to his father, but until present have been cohabiting with for 13 plus year. Our decision to raise him under the same roof is not an option any longer. So I intend to gain custody but the father is not cooperating and says that I have no right to these benefits that are paid via bank account in which his father charges over. How do I go about obtaining charge over this benefit. His father is considered legally blind. Do I need to get a protection order to keep his father from driving w/ the child in the car. He has already had his night time privleges revoked driving wise and has had two minor accidents w/minor damages.Both times his lack of eyesight were to blame

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Gerald Gregory Lutkenhaus

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Normally, the parent who has custody is designated the payee. So, once you win custody you can advise Social Security of that fact and asked to be named payee.

    This response is meant to be information only and should not be considered to be legal advice. This information is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,261 answers this week

3,116 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,261 answers this week

3,116 attorneys answering