Skip to main content

How do I go about changing my childs last name?

Swedesboro, NJ |

I would like to change my daughters last name. Due to the fact that her father and I didn't work out the way we had planned. I would like to change it.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You have to file a motion with the Court. I suggest you use an attorney for this type of matter.

    Herbert Tan, Esq.

    The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

    Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (888) TAN-LAWS

  2. I agree with Mr. Tan, you must file a motion with the court that states why it is in the child's best interest for the last name to be changed. When the primary caretaker seeks to change the last name of a child, then there is a presumption in favor of the primary caretaker that the name selected is in the best interest of the child. The presumption may be rebutted by proof offered by the secondary caretaker that the name change is not in the best interest of the child.

    DISCLAIMER: this answer doesn't constitute an attorney client relationship.

    James R. Fridie III
    200 Campbell Drive, Suite 226
    Willingboro, NJ 08046
    856-513-2810 Fax

    If you found this information helpful please click the thumbs up icon below.

  3. You need to file a request for name change in court and can obtain the necessary paperwork from the court clerk or can hire an attorney to do so.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics