How do I go about bringing my fiancée?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

My fiancée lives in London and is on a work permit. we recently got engaged and I would love to bring him to the United States. we have plans on going back to our home country for a wedding celebration, but probably it will happen in 6-7 month. Is it better to bring him as my fiancée here, and solmenize the marriage here than go back together for the wedding celebration back home, or complete the weeding in Bangladesh and than come to the US and then apply for him? If he came as my fiancée on a visa how long would it take for him to receive a green card? is it possible for him to travel with me back home without the green card?

Additional information

Yes I am a US citizen.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You didn't tell us the most important thing .... are you a US Citizen? The reason I ask is that you talk about 'our home country'.

    You should meet with an immigration attorney to discuss the best options .. this is actually a fairly complex issue and you need to balance many, many factors.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Irene Vaisman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The other attorneys are correct. If you are a citizen then you have the options you talk about. Of not, can't do the fiancée visa. Schedule a personal consultation to further discuss.

    This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. Haroen Calehr


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Need more info. If your a US citizen there are options. If you only have a green card or worse a US work visa than you cannot sponsor your fiancee.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,228 answers this week

3,255 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,228 answers this week

3,255 attorneys answering