How do I give up legal custody of my 13 yr old brother? I received custody in the state of MD and now reside in GA.

Asked about 1 year ago - Porterdale, GA

His father would like to take him and I believe it would be best so how do I go about giving full custody to him so I'm no longer responsible for him.

1. David Edward Oles

Pro

1

Answered . While there are similarities in law from state to state, it would be very risky for a Georgia lawyer to offer advice about Maryland domestic law. If your brother is in Maryland, you will need to contact a Maryland lawyer for advice on this issue. Hopefully an interested Maryland lawyer will respond to your question.

2. David Stephen Klein

1

Answered . If you are in GA and your brother is here now, you should bring your custody documentation to a Family Law attorney in your area. Whether the father can regain custody will have to be decided by a judge. If you and your brother have lived here for over 6 months, a GA judge should (but may not) decide GA has jurisdiction, but if not, be prepared to go to court in MD.