Skip to main content

How do I give full custody of my son to his dad?

Wisconsin Dells, WI |

I'm in a bit of a jam. My fiance and I just had our first baby, a little boy. As I am a minor, my mom is not willing to let us get married, as much as we desire to do so. We currently are not living together, which is where are problems only begin. My mother's husand (not my father) does not wish to allow my fiance on our property, for selfish purposes. Because of this, it would make it nearly impossible for him to see our son. I- WE -are not by any means okay with this. I wish to grant FULL custody of our son to HIM (he's 18) until I become of age or can convince my mother to allow us to get married, so that nobody can compromise him seeing our son. I just do not know where to start..?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I recommend that you consult with a family law attorney about the specifics of your case and intentions, so that you will fully grasp the ramifications (if any) about your proposal.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should seek a full consultation with a licensed attorney before relying on any advice offered through this website


I agree that you should consult with an experienced family law attorney. Most attorneys offer free consultations. However, you should know that (a) custody refers to decision-making authority only and you should both have joint and (b) having court ordered placement rights awarded to Dad would be enough to accomplish your goals. He would then have the right to come get his child for placement or you would have to bring the child to him somewhere.

Signing over custody and placement is not a good idea as that could come back to haunt you down the road, especially if your relationship deteriorates with Dad.

Talk to an attorney or the Child Support Enforcement Agency in your county to determine how to establish the court orders for your son that will be best for him.


Consult a local family law attorney to discuss your options. Obviously, this is very important and you will want to make sure you have thought about all available options and taken the necessary steps to make a good decision for you and for your child. Good luck.


As a minor, the Court will appoint a Guardian ad Litem to represent your best interests in this matter. If there is an underlying paternity action in this placement, you can encourage your boyfriend to file a motion for modification of placement. At least you will have some legal protection of your interest through your Guardian ad Litem. By providing the father sole legal custody, you may be jeopardizing your own custodial rights and future placement if the two of you are suddenly not aligned in interest.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer