How do I get wages owed from an employer I left?

Asked over 2 years ago - Wilmington, DE

I left a part-time position with real short notice to take a full time one. My former employers are saying they're not going to pay me for my last two weeks of work because I didn't give the amount of notice it said I needed to in my contract. I've looked at my contract, and it says nothing about pay being withheld in a situation like this. What rights do I have in a situation like this, and how can I collect what's owed to me?


Attorney answers (1)

  1. Katherine R Witherspoon

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . The Delaware Department of Labor enforces a law requiring an employer to pay all earned wages by the next regularly scheduled payday. If your employer doesn't pay by that date, see the Department or consult a Delaware
    employment attorney.

    My answers to questions on Avvo do not constitute legal advice, but are offered as general information to help... more

Related Topics


Employment law governs employee pay, non-discrimination policies, employment classifications, and hiring and firing at the federal, state, and local levels.

Part-time employment

A part-time employee works less than a full workweek. Definitions vary on how many hours constitute part-time work; maximums may be 25, 30, or 34 hours a week.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,176 answers this week

3,469 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,176 answers this week

3,469 attorneys answering