How Do I Get This Noisy Neighbor Evicted?

Asked about 2 years ago - Staten Island, NY

I've been living in my apartment for a year and a half now and, so far, I've made 4 complaints to my landlord (the management company) about my upstairs neighbor being extremely noisy at all times of day and night. The noises from her apartment are so loud that I can feel the vibrations in my apartment below. These noises are disturbing my sleep and the quiet enjoyment of my apartment!

The management company has sent several letters to this noisy neighbor telling her to quiet down (and has even cc'ed their attorney on a couple letters) but the neighbor continues to be super noisy so her behavior seems intentional now. The landlord won't make her put carpeting on her floors (as stated in the lease) nor will they evict her.

Can I take the neighbor to court and evict her that way

1. Michael Ryan Juarez

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Dear Staten Island,

I'm not licensed to practice in NY but I doubt you have standing to evict a neighbor, that would be up to the landlord.

Since the LL is aware of the situation and neglecting to take effective curative action, like eviction, they may be constructively evicting you. I would suggest taking your lease agreement to a local attorney to help you craft a letter to your management stating the severity of the issue and how it has effected your sleep and use of the apartment. In addition, if they continue to refuse to correct the issue you will be forced to withhold rent until they do evict her. Withholding rent can be dangerous though (a threat may be enough), and I highly encourage you to consult with a local NY attorney first. You can also talk with your other neighbors, if there is any, and see if they suffer the same issues with the noisy neighbor.

Good Luck. I hope this is helpful.

2. Adam Elliot Karhu

1

Answered . The three theories that can be advanced here are : Constructive eviction, Breach of Implied Warranty of Quiet Enjoyment and Explicit Breach of Lease for not carpeting the upstairs apartment.

They all require different actions on your part and you need to discuss the situation with an attorney and present all the relevant facts to him/her in order to determine which one is the best for your specific situation.