How do I get these people out of my house?

A woman,who is a friend of my grandfather,said that she needed a place to stay. She told us she would only stay for three days and her kids would be with her sister.Four months later she is still here with her two dogs three kids and her boyfriend.They have visitors all ours of the night and dont pay anything 4 bills.They have basically takin over our house. The house is my grandfathers and i live with him because he has demensia and he is not all there and he needs me to take care of him. They are completely taking advantage of him. Recently I've descovered that they are growing marijuanna in the back yard. I asked them to get rid of them but they just moved them out of my sight.I have a four month old baby.I need help making my home, my home again.Asking them nicely to leave didn't work.

Stockton, CA -

Robin Mashal

Robin Mashal

Real Estate Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

It sounds like these people are squatters. You say the house belongs to your grandfather, so your grandfather certainly may object to these people's presence. If you have authority to act on behalf of your grandfather, you may give notice to move out; if they fail to move out, you can bring an unlawful detainer action to evict them. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - La Grange, IL

Consult a local attorney. I would simply change the locks. They do not seem to have any legal right to stay there. There was no lease or contract at all.

Related Advice