How do I get the transcripts for appeal when I can't afford them? How do I establish that I'm indigent in MI? Is there a form?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Southfield, MI

I'm, seeking to appeal a Judges decision today to NOT terminate the parental rights of my ex; we proved 4 of the necessary statutory grounds for termination [by a preponderance of the evidence], & proved that to terminate was in the child's [MY child's!] best interest. The Judges ruling was an opinion NOT based on the facts in evidence and in fact quite contrary to both the testimony & documented evidence presented. It is a strong case for appeal, but I cannot afford to pay th $1,000s & $1,000s of dollars for the transcripts of over a dozen court appearances in this case. I have the right to appeal this ruling... but How can I get the transcripts to do so when I cannot afford them?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to hire an attorney in order to have any chance of being successful with an appeal. You can try contacting the Michigan State Appellate Defender Office to get help finding low cost representation, I have included the link below.

    Disclaimer: Posted answers do not constitute an attorney-client relationship and are based on the general... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You should call your particular court and ask what their policies are as to securing either free or low-cost transcripts for indigent individuals. Better yet, you should try to find a local pro bono legal service that is willing to help with your appeal. Appealing a Circuit Court decision is EXTREMELY complex, and you really need an attorney for that service. Unless there is a step-father or suitable man to "step in" and adopt the child, many Judges are unwilling to terminate a parent's rights if that parent objects, and succeeding on appeal on that ruling will likely be an uphill battle for you. I wish you all the best of luck.

  3. Answered . I agree w/ Mr Catchick. Even if you received the transcript, the next steps are difficult even for experienced attorneys. Best of luck to you and your family. - Reese Serra

    This advise is only being offered as a courtesy. We do not have an attorney-client relationship and I do not... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce appeals

A divorce appeal is not meant to allow you to re-argue a divorce. Instead, it is meant to address alleged errors on the part of the judge.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,797 answers this week

3,777 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,797 answers this week

3,777 attorneys answering