How do I get the state and federal government to tranfer unpaid tax liability to the person who collected them, but didn't pay?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lafayette, IN

In 2007 my sister, whom I worked for at the time and rented a house from as well, asked me to put her resturant under my name, as she said she was advised to do by an IRS agent, until she could get her unpaid tax liabilities paid. What was suppose to have been a few months turned into well over a year. Each year she provided me with a list of expenses that included sales tax and income taxes as if they had been paid. Not until she fired me for no reason and evicted me from her house did I find out that she had not paid these taxes. To date I have received a letter each year from the state applying my refund to unpaid taxes for those taxes and 1 from the IRS. All other correspondence was received by her and I was not aware of any of it.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . My word, please retain a tax attorney. Where have you been when all this was going on. You need to respond immediately here by retaining counsel. I fear you may have waited too long. Get with a tax attorney TODAY. Come on, get on top of this problem now!

    The prior attorney offers sound advice. Remember that a will only speaks to those assets that are not disposed of in another fashion. So if everything was held jointly, then it passes to you regardless of what the will states. To the extent there were assets in her name, even though the will excludes you, most states have a statutory forced share that gives the surviving spouse a certain percentage of the estate usually 1/3. Get with an estates attorney to assist you and to get definitve answers for your situation.

    Hope this helps.

    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  2. Jonathan Paul Decatorsmith

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with attorney Fromm. There are so many issues here that need immediate, professional attention. But I can tell you for sure that no irs agent would have ever made that statement.

    Please note that this is not legal advice, and should not be relied upon as such. Always consult with a competent... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,420 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,420 answers this week

3,121 attorneys answering