How do I get the state and federal government to tranfer unpaid tax liability to the person who collected them, but didn't pay?

Lafayette, IN |

In 2007 my sister, whom I worked for at the time and rented a house from as well, asked me to put her resturant under my name, as she said she was advised to do by an IRS agent, until she could get her unpaid tax liabilities paid. What was suppose to have been a few months turned into well over a year. Each year she provided me with a list of expenses that included sales tax and income taxes as if they had been paid. Not until she fired me for no reason and evicted me from her house did I find out that she had not paid these taxes. To date I have received a letter each year from the state applying my refund to unpaid taxes for those taxes and 1 from the IRS. All other correspondence was received by her and I was not aware of any of it.

1. My word, please retain a tax attorney. Where have you been when all this was going on. You need to respond immediately here by retaining counsel. I fear you may have waited too long. Get with a tax attorney TODAY. Come on, get on top of this problem now!

The prior attorney offers sound advice. Remember that a will only speaks to those assets that are not disposed of in another fashion. So if everything was held jointly, then it passes to you regardless of what the will states. To the extent there were assets in her name, even though the will excludes you, most states have a statutory forced share that gives the surviving spouse a certain percentage of the estate usually 1/3. Get with an estates attorney to assist you and to get definitve answers for your situation.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website for more tax, estate and business articles is www.sjfpc.com.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. I agree with attorney Fromm. There are so many issues here that need immediate, professional attention. But I can tell you for sure that no irs agent would have ever made that statement.

Please note that this is not legal advice, and should not be relied upon as such. Always consult with a competent tax professional to discuss your specific situation!