How do I get the Interlock Ignition Device waived???

Miami Beach, FL |

I had a DUI two years ago. My first one. i have finished all my duties, DUI school, probation, etc... My suspension is up, but in order to get my license back I am requiered to get the interlock device. The problem is I live out of the country and don't own a vehicle. Can I get this waived??

Unfortunately no. The DMV is very strict on this requirement and will not waive it. The only allowance is if the only vehicle you drive is your work vehicle and then your employer would have to file an affidavit to that effect. I know it is ridiculous especially since you live out of the country but Florida will not issue you a license until you get that installed. In your unique situation though, if you don't plan on coming back to the USA, then you could always get a license in the country you're in.

I'm afraid not. Sorry!

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

No you can not get waived. You will have to buy a car and have it installed.

Since this is your first offense, if the interlock was ordered by the Judge and not because your reading was above a .15 it is possible the Court could waive it upon a motion. The only other way is if you have a medical inability to blow enough air that can be substantiated by a medical doctor.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI