Skip to main content

How do I get the court to listen to my kids?

Tewksbury, MA |

I have visitation with my kids. The are 15 and 16 years old and have decided they want to live with me so I file for modification of custody. How can they be heard. I have been told that probation can interview them.How do I get them interviewed? With a motion? What kind?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Yes you can file a motion to ask that they be interview by the Family Service Office. The judge may refuse that, only because the FSO is understaffed and overbooked, a now common problem since our esteemed Legislature does not feel the Probate & Family Court system is worthy of proper staffing. I digress. The alternative to FSO will be the appointment of a GAL, which you would have to pay for or for which cost would be split between you and ex. If the GAL's investigation is limited to interviewing you, ex and kids, I would hope it would not be too expensive.

    To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

  2. Some experts consider it child abuse to even ask a child to testify in court - especially to express a preference for one parent over the other. (Though I think this largely applies to younger children; teenagers have a bit more independence.) The usual means to let a child's preferences be known are a professional custody evaluation, or the appointment of an attorney to represent the children in the case. You should consult with an attorney in private to discuss these options.

    Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

  3. The court may take your children's preference into consideration when making a custody decision. You should file a complaint for modification requesting custody and support from the other parent. The court may order a guardian ad litem perform an evaluation to determine what would be best for the children. The GAL will interview the children, both parents, and any other individuals who may prove helpful (i.e. other family members, teachers, doctors, etc.). The court will make its decision based on what is in the best interests of the children - this is not always what the children want. This can be a bit complicated, so I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney. Best of luck.

    This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The content of this site may not reflect the most current legal developments. Do not consider this site to be a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state or country, and do not act or refrain from acting on the basis of the information contained herein. I am not responsible for any errors or omission in the content of this site or for damages arising from the use of this site under any circumstances. This does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics