How do I get Surveillance Tapes from a public domain?

Asked over 2 years ago - Santa Rosa, CA

Recently, one of my very good friends was "Verbally Assaulted" in a community place with cameras installed. It was the public clubhouse for Leisure Mobile Home Park. When she asked for the tapes, because she was considering pressing charges, they denied her access. Does she need a warrant or are they supposed to be available to her? (The installation of these cameras was HIGHLY opposed by the community)

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

2

1

Answered . Unless the property's rules allow residents to receive copies of tapes like this, the only way to get it is to file a lawsuit and request if through the discovery process. Your friend could also organize the residents of the mobile home park to demand a copy, perhaps by circulating a petition or stacking the monthly homeowners meeting.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . The cameras may be in a public place, but they are privately owned. The Park has no obligation to provide copies of any recordings. You will need a subpoena issued in a civil case. If your friend convinces the police to file criminal charges, they will be able to get the tapes.