How do I get someones forwarding address?

Royal Oak, MI |

I need to find the location of someone and the post office will not give men their new address. I have their old address, so I'm pretty sure that they have his new one. If I sent it certified mail that will not give me his new address. Wouldn't the freedom of information act help me attain this information? Post office said I need a court order. What can I do to get his new address? I tried the internet and face book, no luck. Help. He lives in Michigan.

No, Freedom of Information would not do it. Why do you want this information? The government will generally not help you stalk someone -- you need a better reason than that.

2. I don't know how you'd obtain it by way of a FOIA request. I suppose that if he wants you to find him, he'll find you. Why the need for his address (as opposed to sending a letter to his old address and letting the Post Office forward it)?

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you would like to discuss your matter further so that I may provide you with more specific advice, please take advantage of your free consultation by e-mailing me directly at mickey@mickeylarsonlaw.com or by calling me directly at (616) 606 - LAW-6 (5296). If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer you a 10% discount on my fee.

3. FOIA request will not help you in this instance. Have you considered trying his last place of employment, or the numerous third party services available online with money back guarantees for bad addresses? Another option would be to seek out a family member. Good luck.