How do I get sole custody if the father is willing to sign over the rights?

Asked over 4 years ago - Sarasota, FL

I have primary custody and the father has secondary custody. He wants to sign over the rights so I have sole custody and for me to relinquish him of child support. Do I need a lawyer? Can I just file a petition and do it myself in court?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Johanne Valois-Shoffstall

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I would say that you could either go to a mediator so that you guys can hammer out the details of the agreement and you would then file it with the court or go to an attorney. Mediation would probably be less expensive as there are often some level of details that need to be addressed. Just to make sure you don't have to revisit in the future.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,587 answers this week

2,777 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,587 answers this week

2,777 attorneys answering