How do I get sole custody if I was married to him?

He has been sexually,physically,and emotionally abusive to me and I am afraid he may do something to my daughter. He also has a drug problem. How do I go about getting sole custody and no visitation?

Wichita Falls, TX -

Attorney Answers (3)

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Sexual Harassment Attorney - Lakeway, TX

As a former family law practitioner for over 20 years (and a former police chief and assistant district attorney) I would talkj to him about agreeing to terminate his parental rights and if he will sign all paperwork he wont have to pay any child support because his parental rights are terminated/ended and you don't have to worry about visitation. Talk to a family law attorney and call Legal Aid.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think... more
Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave

Military Law Attorney - Alexandria, VA

Start by finding a lawyer or legal services clinic that provides low cost or free services for situations like this.
Then you may be able to do several things: get a protective order from the court against him, and go to court and get a custody order that limits his custody. The court will always make a decision on what is best for the child. If the court believes he is a potential danger to the child because of his drugs and abuse, then it's possible the court will give you full custody. 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client... more
Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

Family Law Attorney - Andover, MA

File an action in probate and family court for divorce or paternity.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.