How do I get rid of a person living in my house.

Asked about 4 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I own a home and decided to rent out a room to my "friend". We had a verbal agreement for $625 a month plus utilities. He's been here less than 6 months, been late with the rent every month, hasn't contributed to the utilities. This month when I didn't get the rent on the 1st I gave him a 3 day pay or quit notice. He still hasn't given me the rent 2 days after the deadline and he refuses to leave. Can I call the police and have him removed? When I finally get him out is it possible to get "3 times the rent" which was included in the 3 day notice?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Steven Alan Fink

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The police will not remove him without a judgment of possession. You have to file an unlawful detainer complaint against your "friend." When you get a judgment the sheriff or police can lawfully evict him.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

  2. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . This isn't a criminal matter, it's a civil matter, and you have to legally evict this "friend" for non-payment of rent. Please see the "how to" guide linked below, or hire a lawyer fro help.

    Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,476 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,476 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering