How do I get rid of a 2 family empty house I abbandened 5 years ago that has an unpaid morgage

Asked over 1 year ago - White Plains, NY

Went bankrupt 7 mnths ago. still own house I dont want

1. Michael Hal Schwartz

Pro

4

Answered . I hate to be hate bearer of bad news, but the Courts have ruled that there is no way to force a bank to take back a house. There are cleaver ways to attempt it but there is no guarantee it will be successful.

2. Michael A. Koplen

Pro

3

Answered . Presuming you were named as the borrower on the mortgage, your obligation to pay the mortgage was discharged upon the completion of your bankruptcy. The bank's lien, however, remained on the house. Banks today have no interest in taking possession of low-value real estate, which explains why they have not pursued foreclosure. You unfortunately remain as title holder, with all the rights and responsibilities of ownership, excluding the payment of the mortgage. If you want, you can try to sell the house. The buyer would take the property subject to the lien. That might put a few dollars in your pocket and relieve you of ownership headaches. Good luck.

3. John M. Crane

Pro

2

Answered . There is one alternative. You are still the owner. You have the right to appoint a power of attorney and have them manage the property for you. Basically, they rent it out, pay the insurance and maintain the property, and you don't have to worry about violations for non-maintenance. This only works if the home is in liveable condition.

When the bank finally forecloses, the tenants will be evicted, subject to NYS law, and all of this is disclosed to them. They pay a decent rent, so I guess they don't mind. Need more info. Call me at (914) 937-7272.

Sincerely,

John

4. Diane L Gruber

Pro

3

Answered . Sorry, but you are at the mercy of the mortgage bank. Whenever they get around to foreclosing, they will. The only thing you can do now is call them and tell them that you are willing to sign a "deed in lieu of foreclosure." They should be happy to get this because they won't need to go through the expense of foreclosing. THEY have to draft & mail you the deed, and the record it with the county recorder to get your name off the title. If they don't, you are stuck indefinitely.

5. Susanne Ruiz Rodriguez

2

Answered . As long as title hasn't transferred, you could try to short sale it. That should get the lender's attention. They might just sign off on that just to avoid having to do any work.