How do I get Power Of Attorney of my grandmother?

Asked over 1 year ago - Baton Rouge, LA

My grandmother is 70 years old and has Dementia / Alzheimer's . My dad has PA , but he is in Japan and he gets all of her funds . However , he do not send any of her funds for me to provide care for her . I am unable to get her the care she needs because I don't have the funds for it . I am only 28 years old so I really don't know where to turn to . She also is unable to see her physician every month like she suppose to because he does not send the copay money for it . The physician recommended for her to be put in a Skilled Nursing Rehabilitation , but her insurance only pays 70s . Since my grandmother has a lot of things in her name she does not qualify Medicaid . Will you please help me because she really need medical care and I have no one to turn to for help ?

Our place of residents is Baton Rouge, LA.

1. Cheryl Sibley Davis

4

Answered . It sounds like you should probably seek to interdict your grandmother. To do so, you will need to file a petition for interdiction and, if you are caring for your grandmother and you wish to continue to do so, request that you be appointed as curator. I suggest you consult with a local attorney to discuss your grandmother's situation and your rights and obligations as curator of her affairs before filing any papers with the court.

2. Michael Austin Hackard

Pro

2

Answered . See a local attorney is Baton Rouge who is familiar with guardianships and conservatorships. Often time local bar associations can make referrals if you are not able to identify attorneys who have those skills required. Until there is some type of judicial intervention your grandmother's circumstances are unlikely to change.

3. Justin Eric Elder

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Hackard that the local bar association is a good place to start looking for an experienced attorney who can help you, maybe even at a reduced cost.