How do I get out of a verbally, mentally, & emotionally abusive household & can I use evidence from a previous but similar case?

Asked 6 months ago - Mobile, AL

I am 17 and have been looking up Alabama laws on abusive parents for years. My mother is emotionally, verbally, and mentally abusive towards both me and my 16 year old brother. My father, they are divorced and he lives in Florida, has called the police on my mother once or twice when we were a few years younger, but she charmed the police out of the situation and they left. I have been to court before for my mother physically abusing my brother and I, but she charmed the lawyers and judge also. I have a journal of things she said over three or four months but it is all verbal (i.e. cursing at us, saying she does not want us, etc.).I have talked to school counselors, family, friends, teachers, school administrators, and some kind of child service representative at school. I need a solution!

1. Ronald William McBay

1

Answered . Contact the Mobile County Office of the Alabama Department of Human Resources and ask them to open an investigation.

2. Michael L Rich

1

Answered . Your conversations with people at school who are mandated reporters of abuse and neglect, should have resulted in a report to Mobile County Office of the Alabama Department of Human Resources. Since you have been to court about your mother's abuse, it sounds as if DHR did open an investigation.

If DHR was not able to convince a court to place you and your brother in protective foster care as a result of the abuse, the only other solutions would be for a local adult to convince your mother to let you live with them or for your father to try to get custody transferred to him.

This is not something that the kids are supposed to have to deal with on their own, but try Atty. McBay's suggestion of calling DHR and see if they have other alternatives for you. If it doesn't rise to the level that DHR is going to help you move into a program or protective foster care, the only other options are for caring adults in your life to seek a resolution through a change in custody.