How do I get or keep unemployment if I quit my job If the main factor is I do not get along with my boss and he creates a

Asked about 1 year ago - Grand Rapids, MI

hostile work environment . . . I know a lot of people would not believe this but if I or you pull any of the other employees aside and with no threat of the boss knowing would tell you the truth . Including the one main guy almost every 6 months or so has a blow out and he and the boss step outside . It comes severely close to blows and every single curse word you can think of is used in this semi public retail store . . . Extremely unprofessional and creates a lot of stress no one should be subject to . Any thoughts . . ?

1. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

Answered . You simply won't. You can't quit and get unemployment in Michigan unless there is constructive discharge. Simple bullying is not enough. Find a new job then leave.

2. Michael L. Van Erp

Answered . A hostile work environment generally requires a showing that some condition of employment arose out of membership in a protected class such as race or gender, or that you were personally targeted. It is unlikely that mistreatment of another which is not based on his or her membership in a protected class would constitute a hostile environment.

3. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

Answered . As indicated by the other attorneys, it is exceptionally difficult to get unemployment if you quit. You shoudl check out the link below (I think). It dicusses the cases and various laws relating to receiving unemployment if you quit. The best piece of advice I can give you is to ask (perferrably in writing) that the boss create a more appropriate work enviroment. Emphasis that the swearing and violence make it difficult for you to feel safe and do your job. If you complain in this manner a few times adn the enviroment does not change, you may be able to show the necessary factors to show your resignation is attributable to your employer! Good luck.