How do I get off Social Security Disability?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I have been getting Social Security Disability since I was a child. In the past few years I turned my hobby of photography and it has turned into a business. I report my income to the IRS yearly when I do my taxes. I'm pretty sure that my income is more than allowed to keep getting Disability. I can't report to Social Security monthly because I have allot of expenses and it can only be done once a year by an accountant. The money I get from my agencies isn't my income I have to pay people who work under me and have allot of expenses.

How do I get off of Social Security tactfully or am I allowed to still get Social Security Disability?

1. Clifford Michael Farrell

Pro

Answered . Duplicate - posted twice.....

2. Kathleen S. Schultz

Answered . You are allowed to earn an amount per month (which changes each year) and still collect SSD. If you are earning more than allowed, SSD will eventually find out and ask for reimbursement. You are required to keep SSD informed. I suggest you call or go into an office and discuss this. Perhaps your income doesn't meet the threshold and you can keep both. To get off SSD, simply inform the agency that you are working. You are also allowed a "trial work period" for nine months during which you are allowed to work and see if you can sustain employment while still getting benefits. There are also "work incentives" that help you return to work without eliminating all of your benefits.