Skip to main content

How do I get off Social Security Disability?

Los Angeles, CA |

I have been getting Social Security Disability since I was a child. In the past few years I turned my hobby of photography and it has turned into a business. I report my income to the IRS yearly when I do my taxes. I'm pretty sure that my income is more than allowed to keep getting Disability. I can't report to Social Security monthly because I have allot of expenses and it can only be done once a year by an accountant. The money I get from my agencies isn't my income I have to pay people who work under me and have allot of expenses.

How do I get off of Social Security tactfully or am I allowed to still get Social Security Disability?

Attorney Answers 2


Duplicate - posted twice.....

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful


You are allowed to earn an amount per month (which changes each year) and still collect SSD. If you are earning more than allowed, SSD will eventually find out and ask for reimbursement. You are required to keep SSD informed. I suggest you call or go into an office and discuss this. Perhaps your income doesn't meet the threshold and you can keep both. To get off SSD, simply inform the agency that you are working. You are also allowed a "trial work period" for nine months during which you are allowed to work and see if you can sustain employment while still getting benefits. There are also "work incentives" that help you return to work without eliminating all of your benefits.

Mark as helpful

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics