How do I get non custodial parent to help pay for day care while we go to court, or is burden on me 100%? He pays child support.

Asked 10 months ago - San Fernando, CA

I want to ask judge to have him pay 50%. He says he pays enough in child support and refuses. How is this typically handled.?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Robin Marie Estes

    Contributor Level 14


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Child support add-ons are in ADDITION to child support that is paid. Generally there are three types of child support add-ons: necessary uninsured medical expenses, agreed upon extra-curricular activities and child care expenses. The judge will make an order that any child care that is incurred for the purposes of employment or education, will be shared. The percentage of "shared" is up to the judges discretion. It is typically 50/50, but may be on a pro-rata share of the income. For example, he makes $2000 per month, and you make $500 per month; in this example he makes three times what you do. The court could order it to be paid 75% to him and 25% to you. Again, the exact percentage is up to the judges discretion, but support add ons if requested must be ordered, under the above listed circumstances. Child care can be very expensive, and the court can only order, back from when it is requested. Thus you should file a motion for it quickly, and from that point forward the court may order it. (Once you get to court.)

    Good luck!

    Please be aware that any comments that I have made are preliminary and tentative and not based upon a thorough... more
  2. Brett Tyler Johnston

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Family Code 4062 is the authority for what you are asking. The court will look to the need of the day care and the cost. If the need and cost are reasonable and legitimate the Court will allocate the cost to each party. Make sure you bring evidence to prove your claim. Good luck. It's always better to have an attorney help you with this.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  3. Athina Karamanlis Powers


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . need more details ...but you need to know that each parent has an obligation to support their children even if they don't have custody, that is the law...The support is based to the expenses for the child ,who has the physical custody the lifestyle of the father, change of conditions and much more....
    You can file for an RFO , Form FL 300.
    but i will suggest to ask the help of a lawyer. Some lawyers help you in this kind of cases in a flat fee basis
    Case law for your case : In re Marriage of Comer (14 Cal.4th 504, 927 P.2d 265, 65 USLW 2447, 96 Cal. Daily Op. Serv. 9048, 96 Daily Journal D.A.R. 15,023,) In re Marriage of Venit ( Court of Appeals of California, Second Appellate District, Division Five July 16, 2007)

    Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information... more
  4. Joseph Torri

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . Since he is not in agreement to pay for half of the childcare, you will need a judge to order it. Explain to the judge why you need it, and show receipts. You should consider hiring a family law attorney for assistance. If you can't afford a fully retained attorney, consider hiring an attorney on a limited scope basis.

    This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship. This means that I am not your lawyer and I... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,392 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,392 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering