Skip to main content

How do I get my W-2 from the army after ELS?

Matthews, NC |
Filed under: Military law Tax return

In may 2012, i joined the army, spent about a month there and decided it wasnt the thing for me so I asked to leave. I was given a general discharge with honor, and i was back home in june. Now, im wondering how i can get my w-2 from the army, and if or when itll come in the mail?

i never got a mypay account

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    As long as they have your correct address they will mail it to you. If not, you can contact DFAS and give them the proper address.

  2. You should receive it before 31 January. If not, contact DFAS.;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. In my experience, you should be able to access MyPay even after discharge. W-2s will be posted before 24 Jan.

    Andrew Cherkasky of Cherkasky Law, LLC is an Illinois attorney focused on military & criminal defense. The advice given does not form an attorney-client relationship. The advice above is intended to educate on general legal principles and theories and should not be considered state specific advice. Please call anytime, day or night, to discuss further, 703-314-6475.

  4. The other attorneys mean the Defense Finance Accounting Service (DFAS) at

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

  5. Your W2 from the army should arrive by Jan 31 - as Mr. Cave indicates. If not, you should contact DFAS. IRS also recommends that in cases where you cannot obtain a W2, you can estimate the information on your W2, which in your case should be pretty easy. Also, it is interesting that you received a general discharge after a month of service. If you would like to have a free consultation about it, or see how you could upgrade it, feel free to contact me or another military law practitioner.

    This information is intended for public use only, it does not form an attorney-client relationship and it does not constitute legal advice. If you seek legal advice on military law issues, contact an military law attorney. My contact information is or 804-955-9867.

Military law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics