Skip to main content

How do i get my stepsister out of my dads house after his spouses death?

Anna, TX |

My father was put into a nursing home in July 2012.My father has dementia. I have power of attorney over his estate.My step sister is living in the house.I told her that she is going to have to pay some kind of rent to stay there.She is not working and is on unemployment. She has no credit to put the electricity,gas,and water into her name.She has no moneyto put deposits down.She took money out of my dads account.I got the debit card away from her.I do not trust her. I want her out. What do i do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


What are your plans for the house? If it will be vacant, it may be impossible to insure. You will need to hire an attorney to evict her, as you cannot represent your father in court without being an attorney. You will also want to consider whether this is what your father would want, and what long term effects it will have on your relationship with your sister. It can certainly be done. I would consult with a landlord tenant attorney.

James Frederick

*** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state.



The house will be rented out to pay taxes. She is not my sister. She just wants to live there for free. I need to pay taxes in a few months.

James P. Frederick

James P. Frederick


Eviction can be done, but it is a highly technical process and you would need an attorney to help you, in my opinion.





I agree with the other attorney. You need to talk to an attorney immediately. You cannot afford NOT to talk to an attorney.

Since your step-sister is living in the house the only way to get her out of the house is to have a judge evict her.

In the meantime, if the utilities are in your father's name, you can have them turned off. Of course, she might "trash" the home if you have the utilities cut off.

I would also talk to your insurance agent regarding the potential problems of having a vacant house. Also, regarding what happens if she damages the house. You want to make sure that the insurance is current on the house in case it burns down.

I would also talk to your local police, sheriff and/or constable about your options. Since this is her current home, I believe that she can keep you from entering the house. I would call and give law enforcement a heads up about your family's situation - after consulting with an attorney.


You have a lot to think about. This is not something you should try to resolve on your own. You should consult with a local probate attorney for a thorough review of the circumstances. As for getting your sister out, you can seek to have her evicted, but you need to consider what your father would want and what your sister might do. As his agent, you have to act in his best interest.

Did your father have an estate plan?

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer