How do I get my squatter out if my home?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

An acquaintance come to my home and won't leave. She and her friends have stolen from me, she hasn't offered to pay a dime, and has really unsavory characters visiting all hours. I just found out that she has a warrant; but I'm hesitant to call the law because I'm out on bond right now and don't want to get charged with harbor ing . Please help; I cannot handle the trouble she's bringing to my home. She hasn't been here quite 30 days, doesn't get mail here, and has not contributed to my home at all..

1. A an accused defendant out on bond is correct to be concerned about the appearance of having a a wanted person in your home. However, you may not be required to call law enforcement, a simple threat to do so may cause her to leave. If not, I think it more likely than not that the police would be more interested in locating a wanted fugitive than violating the person who turned her in. You should talk to your attorney for advice. Good luck.

I have been licensed to practice in the State of Oregon since 1990. I am not offering legal advice regarding your question, only general information regarding the law. You are not my client nor am I your attorney unless we sign a retainer agreement.

2. Since you do not have a specific rental agreement with the acquaintance, you can not evict her. Eviction can be had only when there is a verbal or written lease. You can have her removed by way of an action called "Unlawful Detainer"--she came in as a guest, now won't leave.

I do not do criminal law, but in a way you ARE harboring: by not calling law enforcement you are enabling her to stay there.

You may also want to consider getting out of there yourself. I can see her claiming domestic violence.

I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to learn what you should or should not be doing with regard the harboring issue.

I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. While Avvo is a wonderful resource, nothing can be a substitute for an in-depth consultation with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which the law is to be applied. This response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

3. You can bring a civil action for either unlawful detainer or ejectment. Asserting your rights through a civil action should not create a problem for you. You should consult an experienced lawyer in your area.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

4. As indicated above, if she will not leave voluntarily, you need to file an ejectment action asap. If you want to proceed call my office

Nothing herein creates an attorney-client relationship.