How do I get my squatter out if my home?

Asked over 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

An acquaintance come to my home and won't leave. She and her friends have stolen from me, she hasn't offered to pay a dime, and has really unsavory characters visiting all hours. I just found out that she has a warrant; but I'm hesitant to call the law because I'm out on bond right now and don't want to get charged with harbor ing . Please help; I cannot handle the trouble she's bringing to my home. She hasn't been here quite 30 days, doesn't get mail here, and has not contributed to my home at all..

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jeffrey B. Lampert


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Since you do not have a specific rental agreement with the acquaintance, you can not evict her. Eviction can be had only when there is a verbal or written lease. You can have her removed by way of an action called "Unlawful Detainer"--she came in as a guest, now won't leave.

    I do not do criminal law, but in a way you ARE harboring: by not calling law enforcement you are enabling her to stay there.

    You may also want to consider getting out of there yourself. I can see her claiming domestic violence.

    I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to learn what you should or should not be doing with regard the harboring issue.

    I hope you found this response to be of assistance. This response shall not be considered the rendering of... more
  2. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can bring a civil action for either unlawful detainer or ejectment. Asserting your rights through a civil action should not create a problem for you. You should consult an experienced lawyer in your area.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more
  3. Robert Feldman

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . As indicated above, if she will not leave voluntarily, you need to file an ejectment action asap. If you want to proceed call my office

    Nothing herein creates an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Dave Bahr

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A an accused defendant out on bond is correct to be concerned about the appearance of having a a wanted person in your home. However, you may not be required to call law enforcement, a simple threat to do so may cause her to leave. If not, I think it more likely than not that the police would be more interested in locating a wanted fugitive than violating the person who turned her in. You should talk to your attorney for advice. Good luck.

    I have been licensed to practice in the State of Oregon since 1990. I am not offering legal advice regarding your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,744 answers this week

2,503 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,744 answers this week

2,503 attorneys answering