How do I get my squatter out if my home?

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

An acquaintance come to my home and won't leave. She and her friends have stolen from me, she hasn't offered to pay a dime, and has really unsavory characters visiting all hours. I just found out that she has a warrant; but I'm hesitant to call the law because I'm out on bond right now and don't want to get charged with harbor ing . Please help; I cannot handle the trouble she's bringing to my home. She hasn't been here quite 30 days, doesn't get mail here, and has not contributed to my home at all..

1. Jeffrey B. Lampert

Pro

4

Answered . Since you do not have a specific rental agreement with the acquaintance, you can not evict her. Eviction can be had only when there is a verbal or written lease. You can have her removed by way of an action called "Unlawful Detainer"--she came in as a guest, now won't leave.

I do not do criminal law, but in a way you ARE harboring: by not calling law enforcement you are enabling her to stay there.

You may also want to consider getting out of there yourself. I can see her claiming domestic violence.

I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to learn what you should or should not be doing with regard the harboring issue.

2. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

Answered . You can bring a civil action for either unlawful detainer or ejectment. Asserting your rights through a civil action should not create a problem for you. You should consult an experienced lawyer in your area.

3. Robert Feldman

Answered . As indicated above, if she will not leave voluntarily, you need to file an ejectment action asap. If you want to proceed call my office

Nothing herein creates an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Dave Bahr

1

Answered . A an accused defendant out on bond is correct to be concerned about the appearance of having a a wanted person in your home. However, you may not be required to call law enforcement, a simple threat to do so may cause her to leave. If not, I think it more likely than not that the police would be more interested in locating a wanted fugitive than violating the person who turned her in. You should talk to your attorney for advice. Good luck.