How do i get my settlement money?

Asked over 1 year ago - Albany, NY

I won a case for a dog bite in the face about 11 years agos now, i was awarded $85,050, but i havent recieved anything and im 24 now. I recently spoke with my attorney and he told me that at the time there was nothing to collect because the people involved/sued didnt have any property insurance! He mailed me my judgement letter and recommended me to a collection agency, but the collection agency said that they only deal with medical matters. And has since been of no use. What procedures have to be taken in order to find out what i can do? It has been some time now, and times are rough but i just wanted to know if there is anything i can do at this point in time.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Judgments in NY are good for 20 years. You may also want to try and do an "asset check" on the defendant. If it shows that the person(s) own any real or personal property (bank accounts, etc.,) you can ask your attorney to make a motion to the court to have a marshall seize any or all assets to satisfy the judgment.

  2. Brian C. Pascale


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Ask your attorney for another recomendation. You can also ask him if he can pursue the judgment, which I am surprised he didn't already. There alpt of avenues that can be looked at, including wage garnishment.

    Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does... more
  3. Michael Paul Lagnado

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should speak to an attorney about the various remedies available to enforce a judgment

  4. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Find a lawyer who specializes in collecting judgments.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,446 answers this week

2,783 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,446 answers this week

2,783 attorneys answering