How do i get my retainer fee back?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I terminated my attorney for 2 months of no communication, my last communication was for a complaint of the same. I sent a termination letter also requesting my retainer that i had left only to receive an invoice for $600 stating they have reviewed my account and need documents to proceed. I can't believe it, what can i do?

1. J. Richard Kulerski

5

Answered . Was this a divorce case? Did you sign a retainer agreement? Was all of your retainer fee used up when you fired the lawyer, or did you have an outstanding balance? Write back once you clear these up, and I'm sure your question will be answered to your satisfaction.

2. Michael Christopher Burr

5

Answered . Keep in mind the lawyer gets paid for the time he or she puts in. You can request the time records and see what work was done. A reputable lawyer will account for the time and refund the portion of the retainer that is not earned. If they sent you a bill for $600, you really need to get this worked out so they do not try to collect from you in the future.

3. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

3

Answered . Request an accounting from the firm to see if you have any retainer left. Try to work it out with them, if that doesn't work you can sue in small claims or get an attorney to write a demand letter. Sometimes there are few remedies when the amount at issue is small (in legal terms).