How do I get my name off the car loan and car registration?

Asked over 5 years ago - Media, PA

I purchased a car with my ex-boyfriend two yrs ago, we own the car 50/50, both names are on registration. There is no borrower or co-borrower.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John David Outtrim

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . The following information should not be taken as legal advice but simply as information based upon general principles of law, which is intended to educate. As such, this information is not intended, nor should it be construed as creating any attorney/client relationship. If you need specific legal advice, please consult with a lawyer of your choosing.

    Your question is inconsistent. If your name is on a car loan, as the question states, then you are either a borrower or co-borrower. If there is no loan against the car, then it is a relatively simple matter to get your name off the title (and thus the registration) by re-titling the car. If there is a loan against the car, however, and you are a signatory to that loan, the lender will not release you from your obligation under the loan until the loan is paid off. In that case, the easiest solution, if possible, would be for your ex-boyfriend to get a new loan, in his name only, and pay off the existing loan on the car. At the same time, you could be removed from title.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,097 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,097 answers this week

3,229 attorneys answering