How do I get my money from a Certified Check that was issued in 1998? There is no expiration date on the check. It exceeds $20K.

Tucson, AZ |

The check was issued from a bank in MA that merged with another bank, then was acquired by a banking "monster". I have checked all "unclaimed property" state avenues, and filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I have also spoken to a representative at the bank that now "owns" the original issuer of the check. After several conversations with this rep, he says they have no record of any such account or transaction.
I also have the original Passbook Savings booklet that it was drawn from, that had a balance of $10.00+ in there. How do I get my money? And, am I entitled to interest?

1. you were correct in looking for the unclaimed funds as that is where it should have gone. Let your state AG handle it--unless your state has an attorney's fees provision for such cases you may have a hard time justifying a private attorney. I would just see if you get a referral from here or a friend to a local attorney who may offer to help a bit.

Legal Disclaimer: Richard W. Beck is licensed to practice law in Colorado. His answers are for general information and no Answer or Comment shall be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship or create any right of confidentiality. The reader should never assume that this information applies to his or her specific situation or constitutes legal advice. Therefore, please consult an appropriate attorney in your jurisdiction and who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances as there is likely a time limit related to the question that could expire at any time and you would lose any rights you had.IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: As required by U.S. Treasury Regulations governing tax practice, you are hereby advised that written advice contained herein (if any) was not written or intended to be used (and cannot be used) by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.