How do I get my money from a Certified Check that was issued in 1998? There is no expiration date on the check. It exceeds $20K.

Asked over 1 year ago - Tucson, AZ

The check was issued from a bank in MA that merged with another bank, then was acquired by a banking "monster". I have checked all "unclaimed property" state avenues, and filed a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I have also spoken to a representative at the bank that now "owns" the original issuer of the check. After several conversations with this rep, he says they have no record of any such account or transaction.
I also have the original Passbook Savings booklet that it was drawn from, that had a balance of $10.00+ in there. How do I get my money? And, am I entitled to interest?

1. Richard W Beck

Answered . you were correct in looking for the unclaimed funds as that is where it should have gone. Let your state AG handle it--unless your state has an attorney's fees provision for such cases you may have a hard time justifying a private attorney. I would just see if you get a referral from here or a friend to a local attorney who may offer to help a bit.