Skip to main content

How do I get my money back from a lemon used vehicle?

Harlingen, TX |
Filed under: Fraud

I purchased a vehicle for 3500.00 from a man who said it was it great condition. The truck broke down 5 days after the purchase and now it needs a new motor. It's been a month an the man has not fixed it or even given me my car title or money back.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Most states require that the seller deliver a title to the buyer within a certain number of days and that if your name is not on the title then legally you have no interest in the vehicle. As for the dangers of getting a used car and what you can do about it, that’s another question. In a used car sale, your legal rights are mostly determined by the paperwork that you sign. Look to see if anything was written down about any kind of warranty or guarantee or right to cancel the deal. But that’s not the end of it. You need to talk to a local Consumer Law attorney who deals with this kind of case (it's called "autofraud" or car sales fraud). Call your local attorney's Bar Association and ask for a referral to a Consumer Law attorney near you or you can go to this web site page for a Free Online 50 State National List of Consumer Law Lawyers ( and find one near you (lawyers don’t pay to get listed here and most of them are members of the only national association for Consumer Law lawyers, But act quickly because for every legal right you have, there is only a limited amount of time to actually file a lawsuit in court or your rights expire (it's called the statute of limitations), so don't waste your time getting to a Consumer Law attorney and finding out what your rights are. If this answer was helpful, please check the box below.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer