How do I get my money back from a bankruptcy attorney that hasn't filed in over a month?

Holt, MI |
Filed under: Chapter 7 bankruptcy

I hired an attorney for chapter 7 back in Feb 2013. I was told we would be filing in February so I paid her the total fee. It is now the end of March 2013 and she still hasn't filed. I have called her and she is too busy to talk. I have emailed her and I don't get a response. Any suggestions on how to get my money back? What rights do I have? I have already emailed her and told her I no longer want her as my attorney.

The starting point of any dispute with your attorney is the fee agreement. What does the fee agreement say about cancellation and how it should work.

Note: you didn't mention if you supplied this attorney with all your information to file (e.g. bank statements, pay stubs, tax returns etc.).

When something like this happens, it is usually the result of mis-communication or misunderstanding on one or both sides.

Beyond that, I would suggest first sending a letter cancelling representation and requesting a refund. If the attorney remains unresponsive, then you should contact your state bar association or attorney regulation counsel and file a grievance. The grievance usually doesn't go very far because once the attorney receives the letter from the state bar, they usually swing into action and issue your refund.

Every time a month elapses, a bankruptcy attorney needs updated paperwork. Your pre-bankruptcy credit counseling certificate is valid for 180 days, then it expires. You do need some way of communicating with your attorney to find out the problem. Write a letter & cc a copy to the local bankruptcy court at the office of the US Trustee. Hope this perspective helps!

Mr. Berkus nailed the answer to your question. Look at your representation agreement, make sure you provided the information the attorney required to prepare a petition on your behalf and send the lawyer notice you no longer want them to represent you. If you did what you were supposed to do and the lawyer will not reply to your concerns, then contact your state's bar and complain.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt