How do I get my managers to stop treating me with disrespect?

Canton, OH |

I work at a restaurant, the head chef and GM both cuss at the employees on a regular basis. The food and beverage manager (the one above the servers/bar staff), is constantly talking about how dumb or stupid the employees are to other employees, she also has a way of degrading us without actually calling us names. She does not let us take eating breaks when we work over 8 hours straight, but she will sit and eat right in front of us while talking to her boyfriend on her cell phone. Who do I call to help fix this place? The managers above them know a lot about what is going on and still nothing has changed!!! HELP

Basically under current Ohio law the scales have tipped in favor of your employer being able to treat you badly even exposing your good health as a condition of employment. However, if they are violating federal labor laws they may be liable for damages. You need a good lawyer.

Contact me at (216) 635-9977 for a brief consultation if you so desire.

Legal disclaimer: I am not your attorney and we have no attorney/client relationship. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced response and should always consult directly with an attorney within your jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information. This information is provided without any cost and therefore is worth what you paid for it. Again this information does not create any privileged attorney/client relationship and you are cautioned about information you convey to any person in a public forum considering your case, especially if it is criminal in nature. If you would like to consult with me you may contact me at (216)316-3161. I am admitted to practice in the State of Ohio and the State of Michigan.

Unfortunately, there is no law that prevents someone from being a bad boss, or just a bad person in general. A claim of hostile work environment relies on mistreatment due to sexual harassment or discrimination under Title VII (age, race, gender, etc.). Is your boss equally disagreeable to all employees or does she focus her degradation on a certain group of people?

I would recommend that you meet with an employment attorney who can look over your case facts specifically and recommend what, if any, legal recourse you may have.

Lori A. Strobl
Strobl & Associates, Co. L.P.A.
1015 E. Centerville Station Rd.
Centerville, Ohio 45459
(937) 496-1450

This website contains general information only. The information contained in this website is not intended to convey or constitute legal advice on any subject matter or intended as advertising or a solicitation. Readers should not rely on the information presented on this website for any purpose without seeking legal advice on the specific facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney in the reader’s state. The information in this website contains general information which is intended, but cannot be guaranteed, to be always up-to-date, complete and accurate. Any representation or warranty that might be otherwise implied is expressly disclaimed. Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility with respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the information contained in this website. Readers should not consider the information presented on this website to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and the transmission of such information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, and attorney-client relationship between the reader and Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Strobl & Associates, Co., L.P.A. or to its attorneys at the e-mail addresses set forth in this website will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. Readers should be aware that communications via the Internet may not be secure. Strobl & Associates Co., L.P.A. does not necessarily endorse, and is not responsible for, any third-party content that may be accessed through this website.

Recommended articles about Employment