How do I get my liscense back?

Crete, IL |

I was in a car accident three years ago driving a uninsured vehicle that was not mine. I've been looking for answers and keep getting the run around. Will someone please help me figure out how to get it back?

Here is the process. Go to the bottom of the page. http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/suspended-license.php

You'll need s lawyer.

To have your suspended Illinois driver’s license reinstated, you'll have to participate in an informal or formal hearing with a Secretary of State hearing officer.

Use a lawyer.

You need to enter into an installment agreement to pay what you owe for damages. Call the Secretary of State to begin the process.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

If you were at fault, you need to pay any outstanding judgment or enter into a repayment agreement BEFORE you can get your license reinstated. If you had auto insurance (irrespective of what car was insured), you were covered. Many more facts are needed to fully answer your question.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Stephen Laurence Hoffman

To summarize what Mr. Candiano and others have said: 1. If you had insurance at the time, that may have covered this, although it sounds like that didn't. 2. Assuming no to #1, you need to pay back the money you owe, either via lump sum or installment agreement. 3. In some cases, you may be required to present for a hearing before the Secretary of State. I would start by talking to the SOS to get a roadmap of the process, as Mr. Lassen has provided.

I suggest you call your State DMV and explain the circumstances to them. I'm sure they can give you the exact procedures, you need to follow to restore your license.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Legal Disclaimer: If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.