How do i get my license back after being formally charged with a wet and reckless

Asked over 4 years ago - Redlands, CA

i never requested a dmv hearing but when i went to court i got the conviction brought down to a wet and reckless. so how do i get my license back after it has already been suspended. i haven't had my license for about 3 months already.

Additional information

and i'm under 21

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Since you were under 21 at the time you are looking at a year suspension. You can apply to the DMV for a critical need restricted license but understand that this are difficult to obtain.

  2. Robert Lee Marshall

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The "wet reckless" plea doesn't end the DMV suspension.

    When the DMV suspension ends, you can go to your local DMV office with an SR22 certificate from your insurance agency, showing you have insurance coverage for the next three years, and a $125 reissuance fee.

    The DMV suspension went into effect thirty days after your arrest. If you are over 21 and this was a first offense, the suspension would be four months. (You could apply for a restricted license, but you can get it back without restrictions if you wait the rest of the four months.) If you are under 21, or have prior DUI convictions or DMV suspensions, the suspension will be longer.

  3. Gabriel Eric Dorman

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . If you are over the age of 21, it appears from the scenario presented that you should be eligible for a restricted license at this time. However, you cannot get a restricted license or a license of any kind until you enroll in the state mandated first offender alcohol school. This is absolutely mandatory and the DMV will not grant you a restricted license until you show them proof that you are enrolled in the program. This class is in addition to the SR22 insurance form and the $125 fee to re-issue your license mentioned by Mr. Marshall.

    To be clear, you will need to do the following three things to get a restricted license:

    1. Enroll in the first offender alcohol school (link to list of schools is provided for your convenience). You should contact the DMV and find out which length of program you will be required to complete (3 month or 9 month depending on your BAC level)

    2. Get an SR22 form from you insurance company

    3. Pay $125 to re-issue your license.

    I hope this was helpful and good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,461 answers this week

2,670 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,461 answers this week

2,670 attorneys answering