How do i get my joint bank account unfrozen? my husband is not on the loan & all deposits are his

Asked over 1 year ago - Vernon Hills, IL

our bank account was frozen,since my name was on it, from a court order against me on personal law suit from 2nd mortgage. All deposits in the account are my husbands. how do i ge this unfrozen? His name was not on the bill or orders against me.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. David Alan Zipp

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would highly recommend you hire an attorney to assist you with this. What is necessary is to have a Judge order the account unfrozen. The easiest way would be to discuss what you have written with the law firm that represents the creditor who has frozen your account.

    This issue will not likely go away and as such, if your husband is truly not on any of these loan and judgement documents, than unless and until this issue is resolved, it will be easiest for him to open a new bank account, perhaps even at another bank and have his money direct deposited there. So long as you are on any account with him, that money can be viewed as your money and thus usable to pay toward the debt for which you have a judgement.

    Good luck.

    This answer is marginal legal advice and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Every client and... more
  2. Robert Thomas Kuehl


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Under Illinois law, when there is a joint account and one of the joint owners is a judgment debtor, the presumption is that all funds are the judgment debtor’s. This presumption can be rebutted; your husband would need to appear and show that all of the money in the account really belongs to him, and therefore the citation served upon the bank should be dismissed and the freeze lifted. I would suggest that you contact the judgment creditor (or its attorney) if you have not already done so and apprise them of the situation and perhaps send them relevant documentation. Good luck!

    Robert T. Kuehl
    Kuehl Law, P.C.
    Chicago, Illinois

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now