Skip to main content

How do I get my gun rights back in the state of Florida after a felony conviction?

Quincy, FL |
Filed under: Felony crime

I plead guilty in January 2008 for Purchasing Cocaine and was placed on 3 years probation. I violated that probation in May 2009 and got reinstated to probation. I violated that probation again in July 2009 and a warrant was issued for my arrest in August. In January 2010, I was arrested and sentenced to 11/29 which I have fully served. I was released in August 2010. I am wondering how I can go about having my gun rights restored. Thank you.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Ordinarily one gets the record expunged.

    Do you think it is a good idea for someone with your recent history to have a gun ? Why would anyone in a position of authority allow you to have a gun ?

  2. Actually, expungement will not restore any of your civil rights, and you are unlikely to qualify for expungement since you must have had adjudication withheld and at least one of those VOP's probably resulted in adjudication even if you were not adjudicated initially.

    Restoration of civil rights is handled through the Office of Executive Clemency in Tallahassee. There is a very good website on the restoration process at Good luck.

  3. P.S. Even if you had adjudication withheld, your case would have to be sealed for 10 years before you could have it expunged, since it was not dismissed/dropped before trial.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics