Skip to main content

How do I get my gun back?

West Palm Beach, FL |
Filed under: Civil rights

My gun broke and I gave it to someone who said they would fix it and would give it back in a couple weeks but that was 5 months ago and he just keeps giving me the run around. Now he's saying he's moving away and he might not even give it back to me. Should I report it stolen? Should I tell the police he has it and won't give it back?

Attorney Answers 2

  1. I assume you have a CW permit and proof of ownership of gun. If so, call the police to report it stolen and have them file a report. It would be up to the agency to investigate this further as some degree of theft. Do this asap, before you have any more liability as it relates to the gun.

    The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that you should undertake with careful considerations. The use of Avvo, Inc.'s question and answer forum is only to provide general information and in no way forms an attorney-client relationship between the you and the attorney answering your question.

  2. As long as you are 100% right as far as ownership and licensing, you have nothing to fear from having involvement from law enforcement. You should call the appropriate law enforcement agency--it might be WPBPD, or PBSO, or wherever he lives, as it is his withholding the property that creates the crime of theft that will establish the jurisdiction of the law enforcement agency.

    I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics