How do I get my full deposit back?

Rental company claimed there was evidence of pets afterwards. They visited/inspected the place several times during April and didn't see any evidence then or a pet. The carpet was damaged prior to me moving in. I stated this on the walkthrough paper work they required me to do and faxed them a copy with proof it was received on their end. I also have photos of the place showing that it was clean according to their checklist and yet they charged me a cleaning fee. I am sending them a written dispute as stated in the letter they sent to me. I am not cashing the check until this is resolved. I did what they required with photos and documentation of the damage. How can I be held responsible for prior damage and how can I get my full deposit back?

Orlando, FL -

Attorney Answers (1)

Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Kissimmee, FL

Write back with an objection letter sent certified return receipt requested. State that you demand the full deposit back and object to the charges.

If they don't return the deposit, you can sue in small claims court. You can go to a hearing and show the judge your pictures and the faxed paperwork.

Good luck.

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.