How do I get my ex to sign the final divorce papers from a legal separation, without an attorney?

Asked over 2 years ago - Vancouver, WA

Been separated since Nov. '08.
Been legally separated since March 15, 2011.
We were to wait for 6 months so he could secure his own health insurance (he's self-employed). He now refuses to sign because he's cheap and doesn't want to pay for his health insurance (he's on my company policy). He claims bogus contempt issues to keep it going. I have spent my entire divorce settlement on attorney's fees and now must wrap this up on my own.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael John Gainer

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . There is really no defense to converting legal sep decree to dissolution decree. Either way, you will have to bring a motion to convert legal separation to dissolution. Prepare the motion and Order you want signed (converting), send him a Note For Motion Hearing setting a date and time when it will be present in Ex Parte. File motion and note for hearing with court and show up at hearing with Order you want judge to sign. If ex signs Order before then, take it to Ex Parte and have it entered.

    Each county has a Family Law Court Facilitator who can help you. This is usually free or minimal cost.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Deciding between a Divorce and a Legal Separation

A legal separation and a divorce are different because a separation does not end the marriage. Spouses live apart and remain married.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,355 answers this week

2,837 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,355 answers this week

2,837 attorneys answering