How do i get my ex to pay the remainder of his child support that can't be taken from check?

Asked over 2 years ago - Myrtle Beach, SC

I was told that only a percentage of the child support can be taken from my ex's check each week and that he is responsible for paying the remainder of it each week. I explained this to him and the courts did to, but he still isn't paying it. How do i get someone to do something about it?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Peyton Hunley Robinson

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I am not licensed in SC, so my advice should be considered in that light.

    Typically, if you have a court order for child support, and the person ordered to pay it is not doing so, then you would have to go back to court for the non-paying ex-spouse to show cause why the payments are not being made in compliance with the court's order (it's an Order to Show Cause) -- See

    You can go the lawyer that handled your divorce, if he or she is available, or you can look for a new local lawyer. You can try the South Carolina Bar Association for either a referral or for a free or low cost legal clinic --

    You may also want to consider calling the Horry County Family Court for suggestions (they will not give you legal advice, but may guide you in the filing of paperwork or provide other useful information).

    Good luck!

    This answer or response should not be considered legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more

Related Topics

Child support arrears

Child support arrears refers to support payments that are past due. There are several available options for collecting (or repaying) unpaid child support.

Child support modification

Either parent can request modification of a child support order due to changes in circumstances, such as different income or major changes in the child's needs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,711 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,711 answers this week

3,598 attorneys answering