Skip to main content

How do I get my ex-husband to pay the tax debt and bills that he was assigned in divorce decree when he is uncooperative?

Phoenix, AZ |

in our divorce decree, a jointly filed tax return debt was assigned solely to my ex-husband as well as half of the overdrawn bank account. He is refusing all contact attempts by me to find out what is going on and has failed to pay his half of the bank account. He hasn't contacted the IRS at all to even set up payments for the tax debt. I have paid my half of the community debts as assigned in the decree, and all other debt will be discharged in my pending Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I have contacted him, his attorney, and the irs and get no assistance in resolving this. What can I do to make him comply? I do not have the means to just pay the debt and then sue him. And I can't afford to have the IRS garnish my wages.

Attorney Answers 1


It is hard to have get the other person to comply with the court order. It does come down to how the decree was drafted whether or not It is handled in family court, civil court or you already have a judgement and then you can use an attorney who specializes in collections. I would seek a consultation from a family law attorney in your area and bring your decree to figure out which direction to go.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree

Tax law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics