How do I get my ex-husband's parental rights/visitation/custody removed in Washington state?

Asked over 1 year ago - Federal Way, WA

He is not committed to being their father, he's more concerned with the money he "wastes" supporting them. I have evidence supporting his inability to father them properly. We have been distressed for long enough and I'm ready to let him give up his rights. I know termination of parental rights and child support only happen when the kids are adopted by another but what can I do for NOW, without an adoption, to accomplish any of this? Thank you.

1. Bruce Clement

Pro

2

1

Answered . The father's rights can't be terminated under these circumstances. It's possible to deal with these issues in a petition or motion relating to visitation. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on parenting plans and visitation for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

2. Dave Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . Nothing -- the best you can do is restrict his visitaiton based upon RCW 26.09.191 if is actions fall under these stautory criteria. If not, he has a absolute right to visit with his chidlren -- Parenting is a constitutionally protected fundamental right under the US constitution.