How do I get my entry code changed on my DD 214 if I think its incorrect?

Garden City, NY |

I was given an Article 15 for dereliction of duty in May 2003 . I separated under REEF FYI in Sept . 2004 . I have been reading in different places and doing research that says that upon separation my reentry code should upgrade . I separated less then two years and I also read that company grade ( was a E - 4 at the time ) Art 1st are destroyed after 2 years in your IF . My reentry code is H , thats undergoing a suspension for art 15 . Its been nearly 10 years now . I am really still under s suspension for an art 15 from 10 years ago ? I am a changed person then I was as that young stupid kid . Whats the process for getting my reentry code upgraded so I can re enlist in the AF reserve or NAG ? What evidence do I need to support my claim ? whats the process and where do I start ?

REEF should be Reduction in Force, FYI should be Fiscal Year 04, my rentry code is 4H, IF should Be unfavorable information file, NAG should Air National Guard

There is NO automatic upgrade or change of a RE code.
Administrative errors can be corrected by applying to the discharge review board or corrections board, depending on which service you were in.
Not sure what a reentry code of "H" is.
RE Codes will be RE - a number and a letter.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theorderlyroom/l/blcode4.htm
Send us an email for more discussion if you want.

www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

William Emil Cassara

William Emil Cassara

Correct. Not every service will allow you to apply to the Discharge Review Board for a change to your RE Code. That's why he needs to hire someone with experience before these Boards. Tricky area of law.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave

I did not write this, but here is some generally accurate additional information: If you are seeking a waiver or change of the RE code for the purpose of entering another branch of service, you will need to contact the appropriate service recruiter. The prerogative to waive the individual's RE ineligibility based on post service performance and conduct rests with the Secretaries of the Army, Navy and Air Force. Each Secretary may allow an individual to enlist in the service under his/her jurisdiction. The Secretary of one branch of the Armed Forces has no authority to waive reenlistment/enlistment ineligibility for another service. Therefore, the Air Force will not consider any requests for waiver of RE ineligibility for another branch of service. If a former Army member wishes to enlist in the Air Force, he/she must process through Air Force channels for prior service enlistment. If the RE code renders the veteran ineligible, he/she must process any review or change action through Army channels. If you believe the RE code is incorrect, you may submit an application to the AFBCMR (See How to Apply). The AFBCMR will correct the RE code if there is substantial evidence of error or injustice at the time of separation. Correction of the RE code through the AFBCMR does not guarantee enlistment or reenlistment.

There is no guarantees with an upgrade of discharge codes or reenlistment codes, but what you can do is hire a military attorney to submit a package to the applicable military discharge review board. A military lawyer can draft documents, and possibly make oral arguments on your behalf. You should also know that you can submit a package on your own initiative. Another issue you are going to run into is the fact that you are more than three years out from discharge, which means you have to provide adequate justification as to why you did not submit the package earlier. If you want a free consult, please call my number located on my profile, and I would be happy to fill in any gaps. v/r Gerry

Do you know what forms I have to fill out? In case I wanted to do it under my own initiative?

Gerald Richard Healy

Gerald Richard Healy

DD149

The only way to get your RE Code changed, for the most part, is to prove that you were given the wrong code. There are some exceptions, but that is the main reason. You are no longer under suspension for an Article 15. Feel free to contact any of the lawyers on this site for a free review of your paperwork.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave

With the additional information of 4H, that indicates a separation for misconduct. As Mr. Cassara points out, this will be difficult to change, even with the Air Force. The Air Force traditionally has better results, but . . . . Double check the "narrative reason" on the DD214 to see if there's an inconsistency with the narrative reason for separation and the RE code.

Military law topics