I put money down on a house and the deal fell through after inspection. Seems there was no hot water heater or furnace fully functioning. Seller offered some $ at closing but my loan officer said house had to be habitable by the closing date. 4 days after the seller's deadline I submitted a termination agreement. Within a couple hours, the seller offered to do have repairs done before closing. By then my loan officer said his own deadlines had been forfeited as a lender due to some guideline about having an appraisal 15 days before closing, so I now was not qualified to get the loan. So he put that in writing. The house closed a month later with other buyers (but did not disclose info found in my ASHI home inspection). Now the seller still will not release my earnest money. What can I do??
Real Estate Attorney
Without reviewing your purchase agreement, it is impossible to know if you are even entitled to the earnest money. Was your agreement contingent on financing? On a favorable inspection? Who has the earnest money? I certainly hope it is not the seller. As previously mentioned, your attorney should assist you with this. If you do not have one, now would be the time albeit a bit late to hire one.
By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.
Divorce / Separation Lawyer
Speak with your attorney about securing your earnest money. No attorney? Big mistake. Contact the real estate agent who should be holding the money and request return - in writing. No agent? Contact the seller's attorney - in writing ad request return. No seller's attorney? You will have to sue in small claims for return of your earnest money. Usually sellers do not directly hold earnest money. Their real estate agents or attorneys hold the money.
Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.
10 lawyers agree
If you terminated the contract within the time periods allotted for the home inspection and/or financing contingency then you are should have the earnest money returned. Have a lawyer review your contract and draft a demand letter. If this is unsuccessful you can bring suit for the return of the money. There are lots of deadlines and red tape in real estate contracts and things must be dealt with properly. A good lawyer will be able to determine this and will be able to resolve it for you quite simply.
1 lawyer agrees